2006-10-20

Advertising in Games Part 2

Silent Hill

I wrote about this a while back when I first heard about the plans.

There currently seems to be a bit of an outcry about advertising in games. I found Penny Arcade's comic on it insightful. One thing that that comic does outline that I never thought of was that it might not be a global ad for the game but a personal ad (based on the usage of other ads). This would mean you couldn't use the ad as a reference point in the game (so the whole I'm approaching the McDonald's ad wouldn't work).

To go back to the statement that it adds realism I can't agree with that about Battlefield 2142. It's well over one hundred years in the future, how are the ads realistic? How do they help the atmosphere of the game? They don't. I understand using advertising on cars in racing games, banners on the pitch in football games but this doesn't seem to be authentic to me. I'm pretty sure it's detrimental to the atmosphere on the game and I fail to see how it would be a good thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey cool blog and thanks for the info.

Thought you may be interested on some of my reviews also, we share the same interests it seems.

I did an AllPSPGames Review, a PSP Blender Review and a Satellite TV Elite Review.

Well enjoy and stop by and say hi sometime.

-Greg